FINAL UPDATE: The Indianapolis Fire Department officials announces that Firefighter Chris McGrone has been released from the hospital. He hads spent five days in the hospital after being injured Friday while fighting a fire. Private Chris McGrone, his Family and the men and women of the Indianapolis Fire Department would like to express their thanks to everyone for all the positive thoughts and prayers that were offered on his behalf. Private McGrone, who is African-American, was hospitalized because of injuries suffered August 16th at a raging double residence fire in the 1500 block of Columbia Avenue on the city’s near north side. In the course of fighting the fire, Private McGrone hit his Mayday alarm because his mask was knocked from his face, which caused him to suffer smoke inhalation. Private McGrone was rescued by his fellow firefighters and was transported from the scene with a slight injury. However once at the hospital doctors determined that Private McGrone’s condition was more serious and they upgraded it to critical. This was because of the possible effects of exposure to smoke inhalation in a super-heated environment. The effects of smoke inhalation can be tricky to assess as they react differently in each person. Smoke in a super-heated environment contains toxic gases and particulate matter that can produce symptoms hours and/or days later and should always be monitored by a physician. Doctors at IU/Methodist placed Private McGrone in a medically induced coma to monitor his airway conditions due to the smoke inhalation. Fire investigators have determined that the fire that injured Private Chris McGrone was arson. They’re asking that anyone with information about who might have set or caused this fire is asked to call or text Crimestoppers. A reward of $1,000 will be provided for information leading to the arrest of those responsible. All tips remain confidential. Crimestoppers phone number is 317-262-TIPS. Or you can text INDYCS to 247637.